January 08, 2020

Ambulance company has not refunded overpayment

Dear Consumer Ed: 

A year ago I overpaid an ambulance service and am having a hard time getting the overpayment returned. I have called several times, but nothing has happened. What can I do?

Consumer Ed says:

Typically, your insurance provider should negotiate and discuss the overpayment with the ambulance service. So, the first thing to do is to contact your health insurance provider regarding this issue.

If your insurance provider is unable to resolve this issue, you can contact the ambulance company’s billing department directly.  In addition, many ambulances services are operated in conjunction with the local jurisdiction in which they are run. For example, some Georgia counties have ambulance billing departments. So, you may be able to call your local county government for assistance in recovering this payment. Make sure to collect all relevant documents that indicate that you overpaid, including communication with the ambulance provider, method of payment, bills, and any communication with your insurance provider.

If you are still unable to get your overpayment refunded, you may want to consult an attorney. In addition, you can file a complaint with the Georgia Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division at (404) 651-8600.

Submit your own question to Consumer Ed.  Remember…we do not give legal advice. Always consult a lawyer about legal issues.

Related to: